What is a SOLAS Lifejacket light?
A SOLAS lifejacket light is a safety light that attaches to a lifejacket to make the wearer visible, mainly at night. The lights have both automatic and manual functions so that they can be turned off in the daytime to save the battery if needs be, or activated automatically when the jacket makes contact with water. When on, the battery generally lasts for at least 8 hours.
What is SOLAS and what is it in relation to lifejacket lights?
A SOLAS lifejacket light is a lifejacket light which conforms to SOLAS standards.
The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) was originally formed in 1914 in response to the Titanic disaster but has been updated and added to over the years since. It sets minimum standards for all things sea related from how boats are constructed, through to their operation and safety.
A SOLAS lifejacket light (Chapter III - Life-saving appliances and arrangements, SOLAS, 1974) is one which:
- Has a luminous intensity of not less than 0.75 cd in all directions of the upper hemisphere;
- Has a source of energy capable of providing a luminous intensity of 0.75 cd for a period of at least 8 hours;
- Is visible over as great a segment of the upper hemisphere as is practicable when attached to a lifejacket;
- Be of white colour. If the light referred above is a flashing light it shall, in addition:
- Be provided with a manually operated switch; and
- Flash at a rate of not less than 50 flashes and not more than 70 flashes per min with an effective luminous intensity of at least 0.75 cd
Do life jackets come with a SOLAS lifejacket light?
Most lifejackets don’t come with a light fitted as standard. However, if you are on the water when the sun might not be at its brightest or not there at all then they can be fitted to lifejackets quite easily. They will either clip to or hang from the manual inflation tube.
About Tornado Lifejackets
Tornado Lifejackets are passionate about safety on the water and we want you to enjoy your activities with peace of mind. We therefore sell quality jackets that are affordable and accessible for adults and children. Our lifejackets are all from Europe's largest manufacturers complying to the highest standards for safety include ISO accreditation and CE approval. Our knowledgable team of experts are always on hand to answer any water safety questions you may have.